Make sure you’ve done your home’s winter maintenance and preparation. There are also steps you should take to help keep your home prepared for the wintry weather. Although we are well into the season, a few reminders may be helpful even at this later stage.
Here are a few tips:
- Burst water pipes cause damage and waste water; turn off the outdoor water supply and drain taps before the first freeze.
- Seal window wells and have any cracks professionally repaired in basement walls which may cause leaks.
- Clear eaves troughs and downspouts of debris.
- Insulate the pipes most susceptible to freezing especially near outer walls, in crawl spaces, and in the attic.
- Keep rain and snow away from the foundation.
- Disconnect your downspouts from the sewer system; in most municipalities it is illegal to tie into them, check your local bylaws