Wet or LeakyBasement Tips
When it comes to wet or leaky basements, everyone knows the old saying “An ounce of prevention is always worth more than a pound of cure”. Yet the majority of us it seems live our lives under the philosophy of, “Why do today when we can put off until tomorrow.”
With your homes foundation or basements, this is fine and dandy….until…we have a rain storm like we did not that long ago.
You, as the homeowner, know your basement better than anyone else. You know places in the basement where:
-there is mold on gyproc, wall board or the baseboards
-areas where the sub-floors sag or are rotten
– when the basement begins to smell “musty”
– how often & how long the sump pump runs if you have one
– where you put the towels down when it “rains real heavy”
– areas you yourself may have repaired several times already but they still leak
So here’s some tips if you have a wet or leaky basement;
Ensure the downspouts are directed away from the foundation and that your ground or landscaping around your home slopes away from the foundation.
“Have a Leaky basement Professional give your basement/foundation a FREE Inspection so you’ll know exactly what you’re looking at to have it professionally repaired. It is likely not as expensive as you may think. It can be repaired correctly the first time and you’ll no longer have to guess about the problem or subsequent solution. Lastly, you’ll now be able to leave your home and not worry because there is rain in the forecast.
Tips for finding a great leaky/wet basement professional:
- How long have they been in business (check with companies registry)
- Are they bonded and adequately insured, including workers compensation for their workers
- Do they have references?
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to see if they are a member in good standing
- Are they winners of any consumer type awards or business awards?
- Ask around. Ask your friends and neighbors, or go to your local coffee shop and ask a few strangers.