There are several ways homeowners can protect their homes from the increasingly strong and wet storms that have now become less the exception and more the rule.
- Make sure your sump pump is operating properly.
- Install a battery backup or generator for sump pumps.
- Have an interior drain system installed in the basement that runs into the sump pump/pit.
- Look for early warning signs of leakage, such as dampness in the basement, a musty odor, cracks on the walls or floors and discoloration or white powder on the walls.
- Make sure all gutters are clear and running well away from the home.
- If the home has no basement, make sure land is graded well away from foundation slab, which is equally important for homes with basements as well.